For Florida International University (FIU), Midtown Video designed, built, and connected an ESPN+ sports central control room from which staff can direct and broadcast football, soccer, basketball, volleyball, baseball, and softball games.
This project aimed to build a centralized broadcast control room to air FIU sports on ESPN+, linking several sports venues to the control room in the Basketball Arena over fiber optic cable. Before this installation, FIU had to move their switcher, instant replay system, graphics machine, and streaming encoder to each sports venue per game. This project required integration of all aspects of production to a central control facility including audio, video, communications, networking, and distribution. Upgrading the system to provide a stable, approved signal to the ESPN+ encoder for broadcast was a main driver for the project.
Building out the control room required connecting the sports campus over the existing fiber-optic cable. We are using HD-SDI-over-fiber converters to send a 1080p camera signal from each venue back to the control room. We are also using fiber to make network connections, to support Dante, Intercom, and NDI feeds to share sources between broadcast and marketing Tricasters.
Technologies deployed include:
- Newtek Tricaster
- Newtek 3Play
- Allen & Heath 48 Channel Mixer with Dante Card
- Studio Technologies Announcer’s Console with Dante
- Netgear AV Line of Network Switches
- Hollyland Solidcom Wireless Intercom
- Sony Camcorders with 25x Zoom Lens
- AJA Kumo SDI Router
As a result of this installation the Marketing team and Official Replay team can effectively share camera angles and cut their own program feeds. The referee’s wireless microphone on the field is included in the ESPN broadcast
- The camera operators and announcers operate at the football stadium while the broadcast crew (switcher, replay, audio, graphics) are connected over fiber from the Control Room in the Basketball Arena
- The broadcast crew is in communication with the camera operators using a dual-base-station wireless intercom, with a base station at each venue connected via fiber
- Announcers are integrated into the intercom system with talkback and a program video feed (Video feed over NDI, audio and intercom over Dante, both network protocols)
- Scoreboard data is transferred from the venue to the control room for automated score and clock graphics
- FIU is now broadcasting from THREE different venues (Football, Soccer, and Volleyball) using the brand-new ESPN+ Control Room powered by Midtown Video.
Catch a brief moment of Midtown Video CEO Jesse Miller in action running the board during a game!